Tuesday, October 4, 2011

It's Monday!!

This week has been a good week. We found 1 new and no church tours. That's okay though. My comp. and I are being very obedient and doing everything we can, so I know the Lord will bless us. We are being fed so well by members, I have to watch portion sizes or else I will gain 20 pounds so easily...eek! Sister Fisher is such a great teacher. She makes sure I stay humble and she'll tell me too! I also talked on the phone with Natalie Neilson a girl I was friends with when I was little (Dr. Neilsons daughter). I was at her brothers house (our bishop) and she called so he let me chat with her. It was fun!

The man we found is a old single man in a trailer park. His name is Bruce Welcome (yes his last name is welcome). He is a total redneck. When he invited us in he was watching a football game and was cheering for the Washington Sea Hawks who were playing the Ravens. I said if the Ravens win, we get 2 lessons not just 1 and THEY WON! haha. I think my comp. thought I was crazy, but you have to be able to connect to people. That was a way we could gain his trust and understanding, Whatever it takes!!!


Did I tell you the story about Mary? The lady that we met finding last monday? Well everything in our plan went wrong that day. Long story short we didn't have a car, so we had to change our finding spot and go somewhere we could walk to. We decided to go to a place called, lapoma firs-about a 20min walk. It was rainy and cold and about the 15th door we knocked on it was Mary. Mary is a very faithful baptist. She invited us in, gave us something to drink and then wanted to talk business. She knew we were mormon. She got her bibles out and started to almost bible bash with us. What? This lady is like 60 years old. Anyway, we just nodded our heads and smiled, because we are not allowed to bible bash, even though I could prove her wrong on most of the stuff, out of the bible. We told her we had to leave because we had another appt. and this is what she says, "Girls I prayed for two mormons to come to my house today, so I could teach them" What? I was so confused. But it made perfect sense. I know we were led to her house for a reason, that reason I still am trying to figure out!

Mary wanted to talk again. We prayed and felt like we needed to go back. We went back on Friday. By this time she has studied mormon doctrine from Internet sources (not good) and had came up with questions to try to prove us wrong. Again- we smile and nod our heads, trying not argue. She rejects any possibility that God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ are two separate beings. Pretty much she believes in the trinity where they are as one. I won't lie, the bible is confusing about that certain topic, but that is why we have the First Vision!!! We also have the account in Acts where Stephen says he saw both of them and many more. I then was just boggled. I couldn't understand this lady and how she could be so defensive, but yet preach of Christ. I bore by testimony of the Book of Mormon and new without a doubt that it was true. We then invited her to read the Book of Mormon and read her Moroni's promise (moroni 10:3-5), we then asked her if we could leave in prayer.

She says, " No, we do not pray to the same God and I will not allow it in my house, the only thing I need the the good word of God and that is in the Bible"- my heart was crushed.

Remember- I am a greeny and am from Utah!

We left and got into our car and tears started streaming down my face. I was trying to be so strong for my companion, but I just couldn't anymore. I have never had anyone tell me so many piercing anti-doctrinal words before. I couldn't understand why God wouldn't just let her understand through the bible she is reading that it is false doctrine. For example- the trinity,faith alone will save you and the we have a prophet on the earth today. I went home that night and prayed to help me answer this question in conference the next day.

Thank goodness for General Conference....

Elder Christofferson rolls around and what does he say????

"Faith without works is dead". Yes!!! Many people do not welcome the message of repentance, but it is a divine gift that will allow us to return to live with our Father in Heaven. If we do not repent, we will never be able to progress in the way we can.


His talk answered every question that I had. I love that man!

How thankful I am for a Prophet of God on this Earth today to lead and guide this church through these last days. I always use the example to the people we teach-is the prophet is standing on top of Mt. Rainier and can see everything that is happening, where we can only see to the eyes reach. That is what a prophet does. He see's things we can't and if we listen to him we will always be protected.

How was your conference experience? I heard Jeffery R. Holland laid down the law haha. I heard they talked to the everyone about serving missions,even the seniors. hint hint, grandma and grandpa buck!!! ;D Always count on him for that!


I attached some pics. My mom sent me a tomato from my grandpas garden and I made a tomato sandwich. I was soooo yummy! We ate lunch at a members house and there house is giant. The pics of the mountains are from her back porch. Beautiful hu! The sign on the fence in for my mom. It reminded me of her haha. She hates when dogs are on her grass!!!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week! I think of you all everyday and hope you are doing well.

xoxoxo

Love,

Sister Phillips

WA-TAC

No comments:

Post a Comment