Monday, October 10, 2011

Another week down!

This week has been great-rainy, but great! Last p-day I bought me some boots, so I am set up and my feet are not freezing anymore...yahoo!! How has everyone's week been? I sounds like there has been bad weather everywhere. Winter is coming :( One day I am going to live some where, where there is only summer, spring, and fall. Wouldn't that great?! Some people we tract into have been keeping us up to date on the politics. I love it! My companion kinda gets frustrated with me because I go off on my tangents about it, but ya know what-were creating relationship with these people, so I don't really care hehe! They tell us as missionaries were not supposed to be "one-sided" on any party, but I am a republican and proud to be one! Now, if I were talking to a democrat I would hold my tongue, but if there republicans, I don’t see why we can't chat? They keep me informed on how Mitt Romney is doing and his component "the Texan". I sure hope he wins primaries!! Maybe that will help V-town a little too or....the whole country.

We had some really sad news this week. There is this Samoan family named the, Laititi's. Their WHOLE family lives together. There are 3 different families living under the same roof. Ace and Frank are members and less active, but their children are not baptized so we have been teaching them lessons. They are such a fun family. There is never a dull moment in that house. Frank is usually threatening the kids with their life if they don’t behave or their crying because they just "love Jesus" lol. The little kids sing to us every time we would go too, its was an event! Anyway, we go over there on Thursday to check on Frank because he had been in the hospital with some health problems. We show up and there house was empty. What? We were so confused. They had mentioned moving, but never said much so we didn’t really think anything of it. We called the sister and she told us that Frank had died on Tuesday. That means since they moved they are not in our ward anymore. So, we had to hand them over to the Elders in a different area...rrrr! The sister called us today and invited us to his funeral next Monday. She also asked if we would stand up and say something about Frank, because he loved the missionaries. I was so honored they would ask us. I hope our mission pres. lets us go! But I have never spoke at a funeral before, what do I say eek!

Have you all heard the news about the Provo tabernacle becoming a temple? The Provo tabernacle burned down last year. I remember asking Kaylen why we could hear so many fire trucks and then we found out that it had caught on fire. It was the saddest thing to see such a historic and beautiful building be destroyed. But in conference they announced that they were going to reconstruct it to how it was before, but this time it will be another temple in Provo :D I started crying. I don’t know why. I just thought it was the coolest thing EVER!!! I can’t wait to go see it. I imagine it will be a lot like the vernal temple...AWESOME!

Funny story:

We were "finding" Friday night and we knock on this door, not knowing what to expect like every door we knock on. This Asian lady opens the door and starts going crazy like we are coming to kidnap her family. She jumping up and down, screaming, waving her hands all over the place (the whole time sis. fisher and I are just standing in amazement) she then runs past us like she is looking for help or our car and goes back in side and slams the door. Sis. Fisher and I looked at each other and just started laughing hysterically. It was the funniest thing!

Sis. Swanson the lady we are living with moved up her wedding date to Nov. 4. They decided they couldn't wait that long haha! I agree! They are so smitten for each other. That means we will be moving soon. They don't know where we will be living, but I hope its somewhere as great as sis. swansons house. She also asked us to be the witness at her wedding. That means I get to speak at a funeral and we a witness for a wedding all in 2 weeks :D Look at all the new things I get to experience lol!

We have a new investigator and 1 church tour this week..yay!!! Our new investigators name is Wil Green. He just got home from Afganistan. He is in the special forces unit and just got home and wants to take the lessons from the missionaries. Pray for him! Our church tour is a guy we met on the side of the street, so I hope he shows up! The work is moving slow, but it’s moving. I know the Lord will bless us with people to teach because we are being obedient. You wouldn't believe how many elders are disobedient. Pres. Weaver found out and is starting to crack the whip. I guess the last mission pres wasn't as strict everyone was just scared of him. Pres. Weaver is so opposite. He is the nicest most loving man, but he also will not allow the Elders to walk on him.

Remember, to always treat people how you would want to be treated. It's so simple, but I can tell a lot of a person’s character of how they treat people who can do NOTHING for them. Something I heard this week that applies to my life everyday as a missionary is:

"If you give a man a fish, you will feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish, you will feed him for a lifetime"

Now, I think we can apply that to all of our lives in many different ways. As a missionary that is key. We have to teach people how to be self reliant and not reliant on the missionaries. If we can do that, they are more likely to stay active in the church. I love this work and I am learning so many life lessons that will benefit me forever. Thank you all for everything you do.

I hope you all have a fabulous week!!!

I love you all so so much and miss you as well!

The Church is True!

Love,

Sister Phillips

P.S. I'm sorry if my writing is sloppy and incorrect. I just don't have much time. Please just look over all of that :D


This is a little one liner from my email today:

"I pray for you all the time and just remember, it's okay if you haven't found a man yet, because you have a whole 18 months ;D"

Thank you Lakyn for justifying my singleness :) Love you always

No comments:

Post a Comment