Monday, December 10, 2012


Good Morning....
 
How is everyone doing in the beautiful state of Utah? I saw that you all got snow...so jealous! Sister Nanto walked out of the door this morning to cold, rain and fog-it was not the prettiest of days. But nonetheless it is Washington, so it's always beautiful!
 
This week has been an exhausting one, but full of miracles!
 
Bill Perkins was baptized on Saturday! His family was all there to watch and support him and after the baptism his wife said that she knew that it was right for her too! We now get to start teaching there daughter Elizabeth and son Louise and our goal is for there dad to baptize them all :) This family is really great. They have not had the easiest of life. Bill was diagnosed with MS and lost his job and now Meg is back in school so she can help support  there family. When we taught them the law of tithing I shared with them an experience I had with learning how important it was to pay a honest tithe.
 
My Grandpa is one of the greatest people in my life that has never held back his wisdom to us. One night we were on the mountain sitting in his camper, eating salmon jerky (it's really good) and we got on the subject of tithing. He gave me advise that I have never forgotten. He looked into my eyes and said, "If you have to choose between buying a can of food for your family or paying your tithing-you use that money to pay your tithing-the Lord will always provide." 
 
 Bill had an envelope of money and all he had in it was $80 left for the month of Dec. He said they get 350. so they will pay a honest tithe and give 35 of that. I was so touched by this mans faith in the Lord, to know that if he will obey a commandment the Lord will "immediately bless them". It's true "God's work and his glory is to bring to pass the eternal life and immortality of man." ( Moses 1:38) and Our work is to, "Keep his commandments." (D&C 11:20) I know there family will be blessed both physically and temporally because of there great faith they put in Him!
 
And just like prophet Malachi says: "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pours you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Malachi 3:10)
 
Spencer Brotherson was baptized on Sunday evening. I don't feel like I could do this day justice by typing it out really quickly. I will have to write it out and send it to y'all. But this day was one of the greatest days in my eyes. I saw a man question, doubt and fear about the decision he was making and at the end of a priesthood blessing me in tears as a little child remembering what he was doing was right. Spencer was raised as a preachers son and he is very well aware that he may be disowned when he tells his family . That shook him a little, as it would anyone.
 
Brother Gamez is one of Spencers good friends in the ward. (inspired fellowship). I sat in a room with the two of these men as they were talking and realized again, that I am but a servant. I have soooooo far to go to gain the wisdom to be able to say the words that were spoken that day. I was very humbled, but in a good way because I felt this great love for Spencer and Brother Gamez and especially my Savior for trusting me in this great work.
 
Spencer took a leap of faith and knows that he will not know everything right now-and that's okay. He felt like he had to compete with his wife, who had 30+ years of knowledge. As long as he keeps it simple and pure, I have no doubt that God will unfold the mysteries of Heaven to him. The baptism was Awesome. At least half the ward came to support and our Mission President even showed up :)
 
My testimony was strengthened in the priesthood that day. Brother Gamez lived his life in a way that he was always ready to act. He didn't know that Spencer would need that powerful witness that day, but he was a man of God and and l I've it! Please live worthy of your priesthood.
 
Love you ,
Sister Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment