Monday, December 17, 2012


Family,
I am staying in Steilacoom another six weeks with Sister Nanto. The ward is already planning on killing me, so I hope I can stay next transfer too! :) If you haven't noticed I have a track record with staying in areas for six months, so hopefully it will stick. I am excited to stay with Sister Nanto-I come to love her more and more every week.
This week has been really fun! We had our ward mission party, which is always the talk for the month. President and Sister Weaver really do spoil us here in the WA-TAC. I really believe I have the BEST mission president in the world. So I hope everyone gets called to the WA-TAC :D I will be looking for the little Vernalite who will arrive in this blessed land today. I will make him feel EXTRA welcome!!
Spencer and Bill were both confirmed on Sunday! It was a really special Sunday. There blessings were so beautiful and perfect for them. Bill's talked a lot about missionary work and the example he would be for his family in bringing them to the gospel. After sacrament meeting I went to shake Bill's hand and he asked us if we could teach him cute mom. She came to Church to watch him get confirmed and was touched by the spirit. I know this family will one day be an eternal family, so as we do His will I know that it will all work out in His own timing!
Brenda Pearson also came to church. This is Ben and Sid's mom. She has been really less active and every Sunday we go by to see if she will come and she is always sick or cant go. But this Sunday we didn't do anything and she got herself her own ride and everything. :D Ben told her that she needs to go every week. ha ha. Those boys are the greatest examples!
Thursday we went to Anderson Island to teach a man named Jeff. He is a really cool guy. He said he's always wanted to be a Mormon, but he can't stop chewing his "tabaka" not Tabasco ha ha. He is a character. We gave him confidence that he could, so he is starting to cut back so he can prepare for baptism.But on our way back one of the deck hands, Doug who we are teaching slowly as we ride on the ferry  let us go up top to see the captain-THEN- Captain Bruce then let us drive the ferry!!!! It was so cool. As I was driving a cute little seal swam in front of us. I was so excited because everyone tells me they see whales, seals and all kinds of sea life in the sounds, but I never see anything. So now I know they are not lying and there really are animals in the sound :)
This week is Christmas (almost). I have been pondering a lot about what that means to me. When I was younger me and my younger brother would come home from school everyday and count the presents under the Christmas tree. If we did not have the same amount we would get all upset and our mom would have to explain to us that we were fortunate enough to even have these, but as kids that went through one ear to the other.
As I have gotten older and realized more and more about what Christ wants me to understand about his holiday, I reflect back to the scripture in Luke 2:12;.
"And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."
 While being here in Washington I think that Christmas on your mission is the BEST. It's because I have had the chance to be held back and to see the Christ in Christmas. I am someone who loves, loves, buying gifts for others, and could easily get lost in the worldly sense, but this year I have found Christ. I have come to experienced that  the greatest gifts we can give is the spirit, so that he can help people see Christ for themselves. He lives! I know that to be true because I am living proof of his reality and Atonement. Look for those signs that Christ has given to you to "come unto him" and you will to be given the greatest gift this Christmas season as well!
I invite you all to read Luke 2 and 1 Nephi 19 with your families before Christmas or on Christmas day.
I love you all,




Sister Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment