Monday, July 30, 2012

"The Gospel of Jesus Christ, as restored to the Earth in these Latter days would not be perfect if it did not provide all the requirments for our Fathers Children to reach perfection" -Legrand Richards


Hello my dearest Utahns,

Is it really Monday already? It's crazy how fast time flies here on the mission. Sister Douros is even feeling it, which makes me happy because when I was a "greenie" my first transfer felt like an eternity. Washington is still great as ever, the weather is so chilly today I don't know whats going on. They "say" that next week it is suppose to be in the 80's :) I am trying to suck in all the summer heat I can get because I can feel winter right around the corner and it comes fast here!

Anyway, this week has been great! We finally were able to talk to Julian and figure out what happened. His Dad showed up at 5:00pm on Friday the day of his baptism, which was at 5:30pm and surprised him. He hadn't seen his dad in EIGHT years and it just so happened that on the day of his baptism he shows up for the first time in EIGHT years to see him. Coincidence-I think not! Julian said he was so excited to see his dad, he got into the car and while they were driving he remembered and went into panic mode. He is doing good now. He wanted to be baptized this weekend, but with all of his family stuff going on we decided it would be best to wait until this weekend when they leave. We would of course love his family to come, but they are not supportive of this decision he is making :( I know that Julian will be a big influence and blessing to his family. His example and spirit will one day bring them unto Christ.

The Tacoma Stake is has an arts festival every year and they go ALL out. This year they are doing a musical called, "Reel Music". They took a lot of different musicals and Broadway shows and put them together in a medley. The great thing about this is they want us (missionaries) to bring all the investigators we can. We went on Saturday night with a guy named ED we just met. He came and really enjoyed it. Before the show started Brother Shaffer our 2nd counselor in our bishopric invited him to come to his house if he ever wanted to learn more. After the show Ed turned to me and said, "what was that guy talking about?" I explained to him about the lessons and what we do as missionaries, etc and Needless to say Ed is on board and he is excited to learn more!! Yahoo! We will also be going probably every night next week too! :)

Our investigators are making a lot of progress. Our ward is great and they are willing to help out with whatever we need. It's amazing how smoothly the work goes when you don't try to do it all yourself and involve the ward members. Our Bishop is so missionary focused, I LOVE it! We have eight ward missionaries and bishop wants them to visit EVERY member in our ward and invite them to bring a friend to church or invite them to listen to the missionaries :) We haven't seen much come out of it yet, but I know it will roll over eventually. They are working hard, so I know the Lord will bless this ward and the ward members for there efforts. It truly all starts with YOU. Give the missionaries someone to teach!! Do a FHE and invite your neighbor and the Sisters/Elders!!! Invite them to a ward Activity!! Bring someone to church!!! There is someone ALWAYS waiting!!!!!
I love this work with all my heart, but I know that we are all a team and are only as strong as our weakest link. To be able to accomplish the "impossible" we have to all pull together and have the faith and courage to just INVITE!!

Oh guess what??? I got to see Sister Lyles today!!!! Her little brother is coming to do a mini mission for two weeks and they came to drop him off at the mission office. Well lucky us we live like 10min. away :) She called and surprised me! Love her!

Oh one more thing...I had the great opportunity to speak in church yesterday. They needed a fill in for the youth speaker, so they asked me to bare my testimony about tithing! The fist thing I thought of was a special experience I had with my Grandpa Buck a couple years ago while we were hunting. I remember it like it was just yesterday. We were sitting in his camper eating fish jerky and somehow got on the topic of tithing. He told me and have since NEVER forgotten it,

"Even if you are down to the last can of food to feed your family and you are faced with the decision to spend that money of food or paying your tithing, YOU PAY YOUR TITHING!!!!" What a great example of faith and trust in the Lord that my grandpa showed to me that day.

I referred to a parable in Mathew 19:16-22 about the rich young man. The rich young man grew up keeping all of the commandments, but was still wondering what else he needed to do to obtain eternal life. Christ then took an opportunity to tech him a great lesson. Jesus said, "if thou be perfect go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasures in heaven: and come follow me." (Matt 19:22) In this experience the Savior taught the rich young man that he should be ready to sacrifice all he had, including his time, and follow Jesus, in order to obtain perfection. I would invite you all to read, study this parable that Christ so lovingly teaches us.

"The Gospel of Jesus Christ, as restored to the Earth in these Latter days would not be perfect if it did not provide all the requirments for our Fathers Children to reach perfection" -Legrand Richards

For Jesus taught, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." (Matt 5:48)

How greatful I am that the gospel challenges us, tries us, and helpes become all that we can be through Christ! 

I LOVE YOU,
Sister Phillips

                                                                       WA-TAC
                                          1. All of us walking the Narrows bridge this morning



                                        2. Bishop Anthony and his wife with our invest. Joseph '



                                        3. Sister Taylor and I at a BBQ with our zone last Mon.



                                                  4. Mitt Romney all over the place :D



                                             5. This is what  Washington looks like at 6am



6. Smoked Ham....oh so yummy



                                                                  7. SISTER LYLES!!



1 comment:

  1. Lakyn, what a wonderful young woman you are, I am always in awe of your faith everytime I read your blog. We were just on the Tacoma Narrows bridge a couple of weeks ago. We went to the Glass Museum at Tacoma with Eric and his family. I kept my eyes open for you running or walking somewhere, but no luck. Eric ( our youngest son) and family are moving to San Diego, so this was out last trip to Wa. Take care of yourself . Love, Aunt Gaile

    ReplyDelete