Monday, July 16, 2012


Family & Friends,
 
      Well everyone said after July 5th summer usually comes and they were right. It has been sunny everyday this week besides Sunday. Yesterday it felt like winter again and was in the 60's with high winds, brrrr! The sun is back out today and it is beautiful. I now have a chance to work on my tan lines. I have 3 different distinct tan lines on my arms, its pretty sad. haha.
 
This week has been great. To start the week off we went to the New Missionary Traning meeting on Tuesday. I always love those meetings because while our greenies are getting all trained up we get to have a scripture study with President Weaver. We were in the new testament, mostly in the Gospel of John and would talk about two or three verses and just pick them apart. The spirit was so strong and it allowed for some pretty amazing revelation to follow! President Hickley has counseled us to read the Gospel of John every year and I would invite you all to do that. It will open your eyes to the infinite love he has for us and his true character.
 
" Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away; and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth (cuts back) it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
Now ye are clean through the word (Jesus Christ) which I have spoken in you. Abide in me and I in you.
As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye except ye abide in me.
I am the vine, ye are the branch; He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (John 15:2-4)
 
Why would God cut us back (purgeth) for bringing forth fruit? I know it is the love of God that he teaches us many, many things and sometimes they don't always feel to good, but as we do what he asks he cuts us back little by little to show us that it is not us, but Him that bears the fruit. As we work diligent in his vineyard full-time missionary or not-we will bring forth much fruit unto Christ. Then will our joy be full!
 
As a mission we are reading the Book of Mormon again together. This time we are only reading 6 pgs. a day instead of 11. We will finish by Oct. 15th and that will give us 4 free days, in case we miss. I would like to invite anyone and everyone to READ with us. It's going to be sooooo much fun!!!! I know from my last experience in doing this it brought forth MIGHTY MIRACLES!!!! One of the greatest miracles that happened while on my mission came from the sweet, powerful spirit that the Book of Mormon brings as you read in EVERYDAY!!
 
Sister Douros is a champ! She is doing really well. This week we have been focusing on teaching skills and listening. It is easy for new missionaries to get really distracted. haha. She is one of the most positive people I have met, it is really great. She has not had an easy life and I admire her straight and determination for the work. I have been learning a lot about her. But the one thing that she loves the most is Disney princesses haha. So opposite from me, but I just roll with it anyway!! The poor girl is not into exercising as much as me, so she said her way of serving me is exercising in the morning haha. I am really grateful for that. On Saturday we run the narrows bridge with our zone and it was Sister Douros's first time. She was so nervous but we assured her it would be ok and she didn't have to run she could walk it. It is 1 mile across, so 2 miles all together, but when I finished I looked behind me and there is Sister Douros leaning over the median puking :( I ran back up to her and made sure she was okay and the poor girl was just so embarrassed. We all cheered her one and I walked with her back down. She just laughed it off and now has a great memory on the Narrows bridge haha!!! Love her!
 
This coming week Julian Goff will be getting baptised. Julian is an amazing individual. He is baptist and left the church a couple years ago because he didn't agree with there teachings. He loves the gospel so much!! He comes to church every Sunday and uses his GIANT bible and book of Mormon that we got him lol. He has one of the most honest and sincere spirits I have met. Everytime we go to teach him, I walk out of it the one being taught!!
 
I love you all and hope you have a great week. 
 
xoxoxo
Sister Phillips 

No comments:

Post a Comment