Monday, April 23, 2012

Sunny Days!

Oh my goodness has it been as beautiful in Utah as here in Tacoma? As we speak it is a whopping 70 degrees here in the Evergreen State :) This morning we played ultimate Frisbee and ate lunch at the park with our zone-it was really nice. The sad thing is who knows how long it will last here. It likes to go in spurts!


This week has been great! We had a baptism. Richard Plein was baptized on Sunday. I don't think I have talked much about Richard. He was pretty much ready when I got here, but It's been fun to see him grown in just these last couple weeks. He was a missionary for his last church, so that makes for some interesting conversations. Sister Hoffman was very excited for his baptism it sounded like they had went through a lot with him. He said he received revelation that my calling in life was to be a teacher...hmm!

Well the Osmond kick is back! I thought maybe it was just an Olympia thing, but people in Tacoma think I look like Marie Osmond as well. I need to write her a letter-maybe she'll let me come meet her one day ;)

This weekend we had quiet the workout. Friday morning we woke up early and did insanity with the elders. The next morning we ran the Narrows Bridge which is a mile long, so 2 miles total. After that it was Park Appreciation day and we went as a ward to spread bark. I raked for 3 hours straight and my abs and shoulders hurt soo bad. Sister Hoffman was dead and I had to make her get out of bed the next morning. Everyone was pretty soar at church the next morning. That goes to show how out of shape I am ;/ I did request to open up a sisters bike area in Tacoma and President Weaver said he thought it was a good idea. Hopefully next transfer I will be on bike!!!!

On Saturday we went tracking with our bishops son who just returned home from his mission in Russia. We have an appt. complex that is full of Russians, Maldivians, and Ukrainians. They all migrate to Washington. Most of them do not speak very good English and when we try to explain the Book of Mormon to them they get very defensive and say the Bible is the only book. So we came up with plan B. We took Chris with us and had so much fun. We met a lot of people and gave away 3 solid Book of Mormons with commitments to read and pray about it. The best part was to watch their faces at the door when Chris would start speaking Russian. We have one person we are going to go visit next week and I really hope we can get him to come to church.

I want to send a shout out to my Whitney Calhoun. Last week in my attached pictures there was a pic of me with the Kllumker Family. Sister Klumker knows Whitney through her daughter, so she emailed Whitney and asked what she could make me that I would love. Whitney emailed her back and said if she wanted to win my heart over to make chewy sweet chex mix!! I was so surprise and it was soo yummy! I still haven't even eaten half of it, but that's okay. I was very thankful for her and for thinking of me. You guys are the BEST!

I am grateful for the love and testimonies of you all. I know that the Bible is not the only word of God, but that there is more and it is in the Book of Mormon. If people would just try it out and read it they would see and feel that it testifies of our Savior Jesus Christ on every page. I am so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who still speaks to us today through a prophet of God- Thomas S. Monson. I know that if we listen to his counsel, we will never be lead astray! I love this Gospel, I love my Savior and I love you all!


Have a great week,  Sister Phillips



Pictures are of Sister Hoffman-she found $10 on the side of the road :)







1 comment:

  1. Hahaha I'm so glad she made it for you!!! I always think of you when I eat that and I thought it would remind you of home :). Love you Lakyn!

    ReplyDelete