Monday, November 5, 2012


Family,
I can't believe that it is November already? That means this month is going to fly by too and then Christmas lights will go up!!! It still feels like October because the leaves are still so bright and colorful here :) This week has been full of Miracles and tender mercies.
First of all...Sister Grenfell is being transferred to Tacoma. We were really sad. We asked to stay together, but I guess the Lord has different plans for us. Thats okay because she will be right next door to me, just in a different zone. Sister Nanto is coming to the blessed land of Steilacoom. She has been serving for about 10 months. She came out with Sister Brown and they were comps. I don't really know her all that well because she has served in the same area her whole mission. I am excited to show her how awesome the central conference is. I do know she is from Virginia and likes to rap :/ haha.
Sister Douros and Sister Brown are companions :) My little babies get to serve together...I thought that was so cool! I think they will really like each other. They will probably kill Gig Harbor with kindness and convert the whole city!

 Oh I also got to talk to Lisa!!! My convert in Tacoma. She got really sick last week and had to be rushed to the hospital. I was so worried for her. Right before she got sick she went on a trip to Carthridge Jail and Nauvoo. I sat on the phone last night listening to a 2 mo. member of the church bearing solid, powerful testimony to me that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God. I felt like Ammon in Alma 26 when he tries to express his happiness and joy he felt from seeing his brothers and sisters receive the gospel. I had so much joy within my heart it could have burst!

Yao Shen Su was baptized last Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Did I ever tell you how cool this kid is? He is awesome! The baptism was personalized just for su. People from our ward came wearing ties from China. We were all laughing. Then on Sunday our ward mission leader gave him a tie from china that said, "families are eternal". Su thought it was cool. Brother Checkitts from Anderson Island also came to bear his testimony in mandarin and the spirit was so strong. He is even talking about being transferred to BYU. I am all for that idea since sister grenfell and I will both be close by to keep watch on him.
I know deep down in my heart that Su is going to be a powerful tool in the Lord's work. He will be a strong influence for good for his family back in China and his friends here. There is also a Chinese branch in his hometown in china. So, if he ever goes back there will be saints to welcome him home :) "The gospel is spreading to every nation, kindred, and tongue!"
Sunday morning we went to Anderson Island for church. Of course the meeting was very missionary focused since we were there and they LOVE visitors. You feel so loved there. But I had a prayer in my heart the entire time we were there that we (members or missionaries) could find someone to teach there. Then-while we were waiting for the ferry to go back, we met a man named, Jason. He didn't know we had a branch on the island and was really interested in bringing his family to church next Sunday :D My heart was filled with so much gratitude.
Oh and almost everyone on the ferry knows who we are!!! They are the funnest people. We joke around with them a lot. We are trying to get them to come to church ;)
When we got back to the Steilacoom ward, it was fast and testimony meeting. It was the FASTEST meeting I have ever been in. The spirit sunk deep into my heart and stayed for a long time. Uncle Sam (Samoan) got up and bore his testimony. With his job he drives around the whole state of Washington. He said every time he would drive by a chapel he would feel his self get really excited and have a big smile on his face. He pondered that for a while, "why would I get so excited?"
He bore powerful testimony that it was because church is a place of healing. People come here and many leaved healed, they leave happier, they leave with a greater assurance that they are a child of God
.
Isn't that what the Savior does? The Savior healed thousands while he walked this earth. We can feel those same healing powers as we walk into our dedicated church buildings every Sunday prepared to take the sacrament and be "healed". I know that this healing power is the power of the Atonement. It can change us, it can help us become who we need to be to live with our Father in Heaven once more! I know this to be true, because I have seen those same healing powers change my own heart.
I know I will be starting a new journey this week, but I know with the Lord's help the work will continue! (D&C 35:13)
Never stop being a missionary, the Lord will send prepared people to his prepared servants. Keep on Strong!
I love you all,
Sister Phillips 

No comments:

Post a Comment