Monday, September 19, 2011

I Survived My First Week!!

I would have to officially say this has been the longest week of my life. The days are long and cold and all mesh together. If you were to ask me what I did last tuesday, I would have no idea. haha. I truly believe nothing prepares you for missionary work. IT IS HARD WORK. There is nothinge easy about it. I can handle the physical enduarnce, it's the emotional side that gets to you and drains you. Somehow, I wake up in the morning and make it another day. I really believe the Lord is carrying me for these first couple of weeks until you get used to the "new" way of living.

Sister Fisher is a great trainer. She is so mild and meek and you all know me, I am loud and express my opinion most often...eek! Thats what I need though, I need someone to teach me humility and diligence, oh and patience. She is going home in December, so I will (in missionary terms) "kill her off", which just means I am her last comp. and will be sending her home. Sister Fisher is also a very hard worker. I seriously would be lost without her. Puyallup grid system is crazy. Its like they had a grid system and then cut it all up. Thankfully she has "tom tom" her GPS or we would spend half the day lost in action. Mom-Dad I may need to put one of those on my christmas list, just sayin!

I am conviced that the baptist and penticostal churches have anit-mormon sermons, no joke! They actually give out anit-mormon dvd's. Who would ever go to a church who preaches bad things about other religions?? Sign? I think so! People are sosososo mean to us. That has been really hard for me. Coming from somewhere where everyone loves you and then because of a name badge people wont even look at you in the eyes or say hello. It's rediculous. When I am married, I will treat missionaries like GOLD!!!! We will knock on peoples doors and they wont even open the door they just yell "I'm christian, go away" or "I go to church, Im saved".People, people, people! OH, but thats not even the best part. Yesterday we asked a lady if she had a church she went to and she came back with this response, "the church I go to is very personal to me and I would appreciate it if you wouldn't ask me those questions", WHAT? It says in the scriptures that we are not suppose to hide our religion or our beliefs, but to share them with the world, (like me :D). Then we met this guy name Nick. He just got out of prison hehe, but was super nice to talk to. He wanted to know more about the "mormons' because he said if he knew more he would be able to relate to others a little more. Well, we chatted with him for a bit, gave him a Book of Mormon and our card and were on our way. Saturday we decided we would go follow up with Nick and see if he had any questions from what he read. A girl answered the door and we asked for Nick. She got all defensive and said they didn't have time because she had to leave, yadee yadee ya. We said okay no problem and we left. We are now at a members house eating dinner and I get this call from a girl named, natalie. It was Nicks girlfriend calling wanting to know why we were at her house and what we wanted with her "man". She was not happy! I had to explain to her that we were just missionaries and were following up. I think she thought we were just two girls coming to hit on her boyfriend haha! I died. Then Nick called us and appoligized up and down for her behavior. It was a pretty funny experience.

The work is really slow. The sisters before us were working on a lost of less actives and recent coverts, so they didn't really leave us much to work with. Yesterday at chuch we were able to talk to both of the wards we are over and get them excited about missonary work. Eighty percent of our referals comes from members and recent coverts, so at the same time we work with members as well. The sunrise ward's bishp is a Nielson. Do you remember Dr. Nielson from Vernal and Natalie Nielson his daughter I used to be freinds with? Same family. He is doing his residency here on the base for Med School. His wife is a Larsen. Like Tyler Larsen's parents (hockey-live in dry fork). Brother Larsen (I dont know his first name) is her brother. Kinda crazy there both from Vernal and im in there ward. We are also over a Young Single Adult branch. They are pretty fun, but no where near as cool as the Vernal singles ward. haha jk. I am excited to get to know all of the members and there families.

We met this lady the other day that is an endowed member of the church (means she's went through the temple) and has turned totally anti. She tried to tell us that things didnt make sense about Joseph Smith and that the Book of Mormon was false. She believes in recanation (that means that we will have another chance on this earth, so if we mess up here now, we can make up for it later) and that she had turned over to budism. It was an amazing experience acutally. The whole time she was telling us these things my heart ached for her. I was so sad that she let herself be overcome by the teachings of the world. The spirit was so strong in my heart and even though she was talking badly about the church, she didn't phase my testimony at all, only strengthened it. I learned that day that I was stronger than I thought. I came out of that knowing even more that this church is truly the only true church on the face of the Earth. Why would 53,000 19 and 21 year old girls and boys want to volunteer to share something with people who deny them all day long. It's because when you find that one person that the Lord has prepared for you, nothing else matters. All of those long days trackting in the rain and cold are worth it. This is why I'm here. I love my Savior Jesus Christ and am SO thankful we have prophets on this Earth to lead and guide us in these last days. Stay strong to what you believe and always try to life where you stand!!!

I miss you all so very much!

xoxoxoxoxox

Lakyn

1 comment:

  1. Lakyn,
    I think you might have met my brother??? or he met you? Adam Nielson, he is a bishop up there in Puyallup... Your going to love it there, i lived there my junior year of high school. Good Luck With your missionary work, you will love it! I got a glimpse of what it was like when my parents were mission presidents over in Taiwan... SO AWESOME! Good Luck in all you do!

    ReplyDelete