Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Why Why Why!!!!


Family,
Well I am writing you today recovering from a minor concussion. Yesterday (pday) we always play dodge ball with the Spanish elders. I am the only sister that plays with 15 elders who throw the ball extremely hard. I am actually pretty good and have almost won like 3 times. ha ha. But yesterday dang Elder Bryce who is 6'10 through the ball so hard and didn't see me. Well guess where is hit me????? Directly in the face! Oh man I swear my face is a gravitational field for dodge/volley/basketballs. Every time! My face swelled up like a cherry and my lips felt like I just received botox injections. Last night my R. eye was swollen and I have two little green/yellow eyes. Its awesome! My head hurts today and feels foggy, but my comp is a great care giver and makes me take meds.
Besides that the week was GREAT!
For the past couple days Lakewood has been really smoggy, which makes Western States (mental hospital) look REALLY creepy. I tried to get Nanto to walk around it with me in the dark, but she wouldn't. Probably a good idea! I'm ready for the sunshine to come back!
We had a great lesson with Isto, Cindy and Ameria last Tuesday. We found out that Cindy is actually a member (mom). She was baptized as a youth in Sipan and when she was split from her mom she never had the chance to go back. She also has a brother that she has been feeling like she needed to contact and he served a mission for our church. We are now helping her find him :) That will be a great reunion and hopefully he can help them come back. Isto came to church by himself this Sunday because everyone was at home sick. He is a great guy. When we taught the Resto. you could just see the light bulb come on when we talked about the prophet and twelve apostles.

This weekend "everybody loves Raymond" was baptized and confirmed. It was a great baptism. We had a lot of ward there to support and it was amazing to see this young family come together through the gospel. At the end of Raymond's baptism our ward mission leader asked if Debora, his wife, would share with everyone her testimony. There wasn't a dry eyes in the room after she finished. I was so proud of her. As a missionary it is so fulfilling to see them voice so confidently there own testimony of the restoration. I remember the exact day when we knocked on Debora's door and the promptings that lead us to her and eventually to her husband. My testimony is always strengthened when we decided to follow those still, small, quiet, sometimes unrealistic, but true promptings the spirit gives to each of us. I've learned to trust and follow. God promises us that if we will DO, the power will follow. I have to work on that everyday and be reminded constantly, but the knowledge and strength that comes from Acting to me is priceless. Always ACT. Be your own agent and not an object!
The Prophet Joseph Smith taught;
"That faith is the principle of Action and of power in all intelligent beings."
I hope that we can all remember that even though not everyone is set apart to be a full-time missionary or ward missionary, you are always a missionary!
I love you all and hope you have a great week full of spiritual promptings that you take courage and act upon!!
Love,
Sister Phillips

No comments:

Post a Comment