Monday, June 18, 2012

John 7:16-17, " Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." I know that if we will put it to the test and do God's will by obeying his commandments, we will then, understand the doctrine without any question of its validity!


Family,
How was everyone's Father's Day? I hope it was great, because Dad's are the greatest! Especially mine :)

 We spent Father's Day dinner with the Covey's. Brother Covey was baptized about 2 months ago and they are amazing, not to skip that there daughter is a chef ;) She made a southern meal for her dad since he is from Alabama. We had buttermilk fried chicken, green beans, biscuits and gravy, and corn bread...oh and a giant cake! Needless to say Sister Lyles and I were way to full afterward!
This week was a great week. We made a lot of progress with our investigators and even found new investigators to teach! One of the guys we are teaching Kyle is progressing step by step. He came to church again and even came to the elders quorum activity. We almost thought we lost him, but the Lord and his Mercy helped Kyle understand that a lot of people care for him and that his Heavenly Father is aware of him. So Kyle is back on the wagon, yeehaw!!
Yesterday because it was Father's Day- our meeting after church were cancelled, so Sister Lyles and I decided we really needed to find a someone to come on a church tour because we had not even had 1 this week. So, we felt inspired to go checked up on this potential we met last week, David. As soon as we got there he was getting ready to go to his families for dinner, but he agreed to come down if it was quick!! He said he had to finish getting ready, so sister lyles and I just sat on the stairs of the appt. building and was going to wait for him. Well while we were waiting the people living below him starting hucking up huge loogies and not just one, but this went on for like 10 min. OH MY!!! It was the worst torture ever!!! We had tears streaming down our face we were laughing so hard and trying not to make any noise. By the end we were just sitting on the stairs plugging our ears and praying that David would hurry! Oh it was horribly disgusting. But the church tour went great and he is a genius that is agnostic and is way to smart, but the saying goes, "Science is just a slow way to prove Religion."
We also had a GREAT lesson with Lawrence this week. We met with him at Patriarch Coleman's home. Both Lawrence and P. Coleman are past staunch catholics for many many years, so we thought they would relate. We went into that lesson wanting to bring many concerns up, but didn't really know how to bring it all together. We let the spirit take lead and every single question that we wanted to address was answered and it flowed perfectly. When we were walking out of the lesson, Patriarch Coleman turned around and said to Lawrence, "Lawrence, don't forget to invite us to your baptism!" It was so perfect.I had the biggest smile.  Lawrence has been being stubborn every time we bring up baptism and I know Patriarch Coleman was inspired to say that!
 
The Julian's are doing great still. Our bishop is so inspired. This week at church he called Brother Julian (he is having a hard time quiting smoking) into his office and asked him if he would accept a calling. Brother Julian gladly accepted and that is a HUGE step for him. Four months ago he wouldn't even walk into the church building and now he comes to church every Sunday :) I pray that I can see him baptize his sons before I leave Tacoma. But something that President Weaver reminded me this week, is that there progress is sometimes dependant upon our Faith. So I will work my heart out for that family and I know Heavenly Father will show forth his miracles :D
This week we have been reading the Gospel of John in the New Testament. I have never read through it this fast before, I always start and stop and so forth, but It is so amazing. I have come to Love this book, but most of all I have come to understand more of the Grace and character that Christ upheld. It's amazing to me that the Savior of the World was turned away by the very people he helped create. John 7:16-17, " Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself."  I know that if we will put it to the test and do God's will by obeying his commandments, we will then, understand the doctrine without any question of its validity!
I love you all,
Sister Phillips
WA-TAC

No comments:

Post a Comment